Wednesday, November 15, 2006

S-U-P-P-O-R-T, Find Out What It Means To Me

Okay, I'm not Patti LaBelle. I can't sing, and even if I could, those wouldn't be the right words--still, if I could sing, I would. I want to thank my friends that came to the chat last night. Your support is vital, and much appreciated.

There are a handfull of authors making a good living at what they write. There are many, many more eeking by. Living from one sparse check to the next, but doing what they do because they love it, and can't imagine a life without it. (Well, maybe sometimes we try to live without it, but it never works for long.)

Surprisingly though, I bet you'd find that even for those making a nice living writing, and definately for those of us that don't--it's not about the money.

Money would be nice. I'm not even going to pretend to be one of those writers who consider the idea of heafty advances, and good royalty statements to be tainting their 'art'. Money's not filthy, it's necessary for living. Argue about that as you may, but it's not part of what makes the craft an art.

What's really important is the loyalty, support, and friendships built along the way. Borne on the back of a skill, talent, and love that shapes words into fantasy. Breathed into life by the creation of worlds, and people. Spun into existance by our souls--and the offspring is the readers that are touched by our work.

Support--it means a whole lot to me, and I am humbly grateful.

Oh yeah--this post was inspired by the fantastic chat at Coffee Time last night. Thank you all my wonderful friends.

6 comments:

Bernita said...

I support you, Tami, even if I can't do chat rooms.

Tami P said...

Aw Bernita, yes you do, and I adore you for it.

Anonymous said...

*taking a bow*
Even if people started leaving after I got there! LOL I know I was kind of late, but had a good time even if short.
(I should stop saying that or people will get the idea that I'm always late! lol).

KMFrontain said...

J.H., I did not leave because of you, LOL. I really do have an arthritic neck.

It was great to chat with you, Tami. Keep posting on ERWF. I might not make all the chats, but that's where I'll notice if any are going on. :D

Anonymous said...

KM, Pay no attention to my whining.I was just making a joke at the circumstance that everybody was leaving as I was logging in. But it was my fault to get to the party after the cake was already served. LOL.

KMFrontain said...

Did they mention I showed up only six minutes before 10:00? LOL