Saturday, December 02, 2006

Ebay--friend or foe

Okay, slightly off-topic, and I admit for a first return post after a long absence, probably not the greatest thing to start off with, but I just felt the need to talk about this.

Most folks on-line have used, been to, or sold things on Ebay. Many of us use Paypal as well. Are these services really safe? We hope so. LOL Usually they are. They're not fool-proof though.

The big problem is all the scammers and hackers trying to get in to individual accounts and usurp money from them. I went to a friend's blog today and read of her recent ebay trials and tribulations (see Geekmom's ebay woe's post here). Many of us that do have accounts at places such as Ebay, and Paypal, are plenty aware of the scam emails that are associated with such places. My normal method of dealing with such emails is to immediately delete them and pay no further attention to such silliness.

No more.

Not after reading Geekmom's post. From now on, I will certainly still delete the emails. Do not EVER reply to such emails, or give out account information as they seek inside such emails. I've known folks who have done that and the results are disasterous. Even more disasterous than what Geekmom's trials are because THOSE types of transactions are not protected by the actual companies (ebay and paypal).

Anyway, from now on, instead of ignoring the emails altogether, from now on after deleting the email I will definately be going to said accounts and checking their status from inside the company structure to be sure no actual charges have taken place, or changes made to them. I'd never considered that possibility before.

Both Ebay, and Paypal are great services. Although I've never sold anything, I've purchased plenty of things from Ebay and been quite satisfied. I've used Paypal for years now for both on-lines payment, and receipt of income and always enjoyed the service... such things are not without peril however, as is now obvious beyond the past knowledge of being fooled by scammers...now we have to watch out for the hackers too.

8 comments:

Bernita said...

Never had, never will have an ebay account.
Assumed the emails were phishing.
Now I am worried.

EA Monroe said...

Hi Miss Write. I'm glad to see you back. Are the emails associated with directing one to a fake site as well? Oh, looks like you need to update your car insurance! ;-)

Tami P said...

LOL yeah, I guess this insurance salesman wasn't content with just spamming my telephone, now they have to spam my blog too.

The letters in reference to the post here aren't the ones that say, update your information. Those are the dangerous ones I mentioned that have even more vile ramifications since they aren't usually protected under the clauses that places like paypal and ebay have in place when doing business directly on their sites.

The letters this person I linked to had (and I've had them too) say things like, such and such a charge has been made to your account. Or you've recently purchased (some item). Things like that. I used to just say, yeah, yeah, sure I did, and delete. Or a common one from 'paypal' (not really from them, but saying it is) a new email has been added to your account.

I had long since stopped even opening such emails, and never bothered to check to be sure they weren't 'true'. From now on I will.

Usually they are NOT, and are just another way to get people to give information to the emailer via a 'looks official but isn't' connected link. NEVER DO THAT.

Never click on any links inside those emails for any type of verification either. Go directly to the REAL site in question using their url in your browser. You can check your account that way, and you KNOW where you are and that it's legitimate information.

However, I won't any longer just assume those emails are 'only' spam. I will from now on be checking to be sure there isn't an legitimate (sic) activity on my accounts going on that I don't know about.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
me said...

Hey, thnks for using my link dear :-)

Yes, ebay is still harassing me for money that I will never give them because I do not owe it to them.

Tami P said...

Welcome Lady. I couldn't believe what they're doing to you.

me said...

They've blocked the account now. LOL So I can't even see what they think I owe them.

Tami P said...

Oh that REALLY bites! That's not even playing fair.