Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Game

Patience, patience... it's a virtue a writer can't have enough of. I bet you're thinking, if I could only get published then it will be smooth sailing. No more rejections, no more...WAITING. Ha, think again. Having been published several times in many different forms--novels, short stories, articles, even poetry (legitimately)--I can tell you with absolute certainty that the game never changes. There is still the wait. The anxiety. The stress... and yeah, even the rejections.

You do begin to have more connections though, as time, and experience in different companies take place in your career. I have a novel in submissions now with a publisher that I know an editor in. The submission has been in there since early November, and, well, patience not being one of my strong points I finally broke down and asked her what was up? Not asking about my particular submission, it was in a different division than she works in, just a general how are things moving over there. She was kind enough to let me know it was simply a matter of backlog and they had just hired some extra folks to speed things up a bit. She even asked me if I wanted her to nudge those in that department a bit. I declined while thanking her for the offer. I hadn't meant to push anyone, but I'm telling you, writing is a game of hurry up and wait. It's a process you either learn to deal with, or it will drive you insane, and there's no end to it. Never. It just doesn't get easier. It's wonderful to be able to go crazy over a job you love than one you hate though. So it's definately worth the pain.

No comments: