Friday, January 19, 2007

TGIF

I love working from home. There are so many benefits. Setting your own schedule, wearing whatever you want, working as much or as little as you want. There are drawbacks though. It's true you can set your own schedule, and work as little or as much as you want, the drawback to that is you have to be disaplined enough to make yourself work enough that you meet your needs for income or product. No one is cracking a whip at you. No one is looking over your shoulder, and for the most part the only one to 'call you into the office to talk about your work habits' is yourself. It's true you can wear anything you want, but it's also true that you can tend to become somewhat sloppy over time by doing that too. Looking in the mirror once in a while and taking stock of the appearance you have begun to present is a good idea if you've been working at home for any real length of time. The biggest drawback, in my opinion is what I think is the hardest part of working at home--loosing track of days.

I have three (yes, count'em THREE) calendars on my desk, and I'm still occassionally losing a day. I haven't figured out yet why I don't gain a day once in awhile, but that never happens. I always end up thinking it's a day earlier than it actually is when that happens.

It's a very powerful thing to. You can tell yourself over and over 'no, it's actually Friday', and KNOW that it's true and STILL end up doing things as if it were Thursday. I'm not sure if that's a known phenomenon, or if it just happens to me, but I think it's because there are no 'clocks to punch', no office people around to talk to... and for me with kids grown and gone, and being alone almost all the time I have nothing but paper calendars to set my days--they blur sometimes. It probably doesn't help much that I work pretty much 7 days a week, so there's no weekend divider there either.

Hey everyone--it's FRIDAY.

No comments: