Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Long Day's Night

I forgot what it was like to have a baby in the house--any baby. Any baby that needs night time feedings anyway. Every couple of hours the alarm clock goes off so I get up to feed, but Annie has beat me to the snooze button and is crying in the kitchen for her bottle. In case you missed it in the post below, Annie is my new goat kid.

Goat kids have a cry that is astoundingly similar to a human baby. She's just so cute though. I'm so sorry I haven't gotten that picture yet. Yesterday was a long, long trial in syringe feeding and praying that she would finally get the strength to suck on the bottle. At her ten pm feeding she finally did!

I was so happy I was calling everyone to tell them. I called my friend who is the owner of the momma goat and Annie's sister who is doing fine with mom. I called my husband to cry via long-distance on his shoulder at my relief. It's amazing how quickly you can become so attached to such a little creature. She's so personable. Today she's been tooling around my kitchen at every feeding time (in between she stays in a huge great dane sized wire dog crate where she can still see out, but is deeply bedded in hay and straw. But she sees me coming and either gets up and jumps around the cage to be let out, or if in the kitchen while I'm prepping the bottle (yep, same way, warming it in hot water on the stove just like a human baby bottle) she is following me around like a little dog nudging my leg, hopping on my feet, and just playing in general. She's so strong compared to yesterday it's wonderful to see.

I WILL get a picture at the next feeding and post it. Just pray for me getting through the next few nights of feedings. Luckily, unlike human babies, kid goats only need a few nights of feedings before they can make it til morning. Hurray.

No comments: