Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Legally Stoned

Prescription drug addiction is probably one of the most common yet least treated form of substance abuse. I didn't even know how common it was until one time I had a prescription for Vicodine because of pre-surgery gallbladder problems and my son commented that I could get about six bucks a pill on the street for those. Of course my first concern was how he knew that. My second was to be sure I hid the pills very well. I don't normally have that type of stuff around so usually I don't have to worry about it, but it just shocked me at the time. Just like with anything else, once you become 'aware' of something you start to see it more and more in the news, or hear about it around you. It was always there but you just don't see it. At least that's the way it seems to be for me. After Bobby made that 'passing comment' I started hearing more and more about that type of drug abuse. How much easier it would be for someone to develope an addiction to prescription drugs, and how much harder it would be to 'catch' someone with that problem. Unlike pot, or other hard drugs, in most cases prescription drugs are legal, unless you're taking them and don't have the prescription for it. So how do you stop someone from taking a drug legally prescribed for them? Or even know if it is a problem? If you have concerns about anyone in your life you should seek counseling to determine if their usage of prescription drugs is out of hand. It's just as deadly as illegal drugs, just much harder to detect.

No comments: