Monday, March 26, 2007

Sly Wins Again

Hubby and I watched 'Rocky Balboa' last night. Of course we had to see it since we'd seen all the previous 'Rocky' movies, but there was the apprehension of just how effective Sylvester Stallone would be as a powerhouse boxer since he's... well getting older is probably the nicest way to put it. Let me tell you, he might be, but there's one Stallion that is ageing pretty darned well. You can see it in his face and even then you could say he's aging pretty gracefully, but the body... wow. He bulked up for the roll just like he always has, but in the past you could compare his frame to a well-muscled stallion--now... that man is built like a bull! What a powerhouse still. I sure wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley and have him get mad at me.

I laughed too at the special feature part where he was sparing with the professional boxer they had play his opponent in the movie who didn't like getting hit. Sly was like "he's a professional boxer who doesn't like getting hit, and here I am saying 'hit me'".

Beyond the physicallity of the aging Stallone, the Rocky movie didn't fail to provide that 'feel good' movie feeling. There's just something about a Rocky movie that makes you want to stand up and cheer.

I also loved the premise in the movie that Rocky uses when talking to his son--it's not the blows life throws you, but how well you can take them and keep moving forward. That reminds me so much of a saying I've used when talking to my children about the trials and tribulations of life: It's not the punches life throws that determines your character, but how you roll with the blows.

We enjoyed it very much. Good job, Sly.

No comments: