Monday, April 02, 2007

Another Addition

Yep, you guessed it. I'm getting yet another goat! Don't look at me that way, let me tell you why. You all know about the four little bottle babies I have and how their breeder was supposed to supply me with the milk to bottle feed them in exchange for me taking them and keeping them alive-- well her goats aren't producing, or whatever, and there just hasn't been enough milk. So I've been supplimenting with whole cows milk from the store (the next best alternative, but VERY expensive when the kids are going through about 6 gallons a week), or goat milk replacer. The only goat milk replacer around here is Uni-milk from Manna Pro and they just did recalls because a lot of kids (baby goats) have died from bloat from some bad batches they recently had. Well none of my milk replacer has been from those batches, yet I had two of the kids go through two seperate incidents of mild bloat (probably only mild because I was cutting the milk replacer with what little goats milk I was getting from my friend the breeder). Okay, so I called the person I recently bought a beautiful Alpine doe from (you can see about her on my farm blog) to see if she had any does milking that I could lease for the two months left of bottle feeding. Polly the Alpine is bred, but not due until the end of May, so she won't have milk until then... which just happens to be right when the four babies I have now will be ready to quit bottle feeding.

I told my husband about it when he got home (now you can give me 'that look' because he did -- not because of the idea of another goat, but because I even thought about leasing. 'Why not just buy her?' he asks.. 'you know you'll get attached' he says... and on and on. Hey, I thought I was doing a good thing by not buying another goat, only solving my milk shortage dilema). So I called the goat's owners back and asked if she would be for sale rather than just lease and they said, yes, they'd sell her to us. So...

I'm so excited, I'm getting another goat tomorrow. :)

I'll post pics when she gets here.

No comments: