Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Sport Not Just For Kings Anymore

Golf is a sport I never really 'got'. I've played it. I've even enjoyed playing it. I just don't have the time and while it's enjoyable, I don't really see it as a 'sport'. Lots of people do though. I suppose it is since it involves varying levels of skill--as I said, I've played it... not well, but I've played it. There was a time when golf was the providence of the rich, at least here in America. Sort of America's 'sport of kings'. I'd have to say as a pure 'fun' thing to do I prefer miniature golf. I know a lot of people who just adore full-sized, country club golf though. It's amazing how many golf courses there. Not only huge, beautiful full-service country clubs like Callaway golf, but even out here in the country. Just a few miles north of us nestled in the midst of corn fields, and hay there is a huge green landscaped golf course. Very popular around here with the local farmers. It's even offered as a sport in the high schools and-- get this -- as a 4h option... yeah. So you can see how popular this sport is. Maybe I should give it more of a real try... really get into it. I'm not sure I need another time consuming hobby though. I don't think there are enough hours in the day. One thing's for sure, golf isn't the 'rich man's sport' anymore. It's a sport for everyone.

No comments: