Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Digital Age

I love technology. Some of my friends think that going back to the 'simpler' life would be more satisfying. There are times that I think so too... but then again, haha, I'd have to live without so many things that are simply awesome. When you really think about it technology effects so much of our lives. It touches just about everything. Without these modern marvels life would be so much more complicated and difficult--so much for the 'simpler life'.

I know, I've tried to do without some things that the proponants of a simple age see as superfulous. When my washing machine, and dryer seemed to combust at the same time (I think there is a built in clock in some of these machines set to destruct at a certain time requiring new purchase. There must be, why else would both machines blow a gasket at pretty much the exact same time?) I tried to do without. I don't exactly have a stream nearby to beat clothing on rocks at, but I tried hand-washing clothes, and drying on lines. Now line-drying does have some cool advantages, but time saving and back relief are not amongst them. As for hand-washing, that may be just fine and dandy for some delicates, but chore clothes are not a good option for real clean outcomes.

Then of course there are the ever discussed air conditioning units. I know my ancestors lived without the benefits of these marvelous cooling devices, but I'll be danged if I know how. Perhaps we're all soft for the advances made in technology. We'd be stronger and better suited to life if we 'toughed it out'... or we'd be dead early. In my case I'm pretty sure of the later outcome.

One thing is for absolute sure there are technologies that are not life necessities but I sure would miss them.

I LOVE my ditigal cameras. What a revolutionary breakthrough those devices are. Not only do they make picture taking more accurate, manipulative, and better controlled, their instantaneous production of the pictures is delightful. Storage is amazing with a simple teeny microchip device called an SD card. Transfering to any computer via a simple plug in device that utilizes the usb port on a computer makes viewing on a big screen a snap.

Could I go back to a world without things like digital cameras... sure. Would I want to? Not on your life.

No comments: