Monday, April 23, 2007

Down And Out

I am so aggravated with my server. Usually it’s my husband who has all the trouble staying connected, or pages ‘zoning out’ because the speed slowed to a crawl and it wouldn’t open. Not me. Usually I just sit here and smile when he starts ranting about the crappy dial up service. Evidentially today is my turn. Pages start to open then go to the dreaded white ‘red x’ page. I’m afraid to reply to anyone, or post anything because it will get lost if the page goes down in the process of posting. I feel like my hands are tied. I’ve been doing a little research on a few sites and have spent almost an hour just getting one of them to open, and the other I can’t get to the second page. Steam is coming out of my ears. There’s nothing I can do about it. Dial up is the only option available to us out here. Well, except for satellite and I nearly did that just a week ago because Bob was insisting we do SOMETHING about our crappy Internet service. I called a couple places like Hughesnet and Wild Blue, as well as going to their sites. First I got aggravated because none of them would make it so both our computers would work at the same time, even though their systems support multiple computers. Support them yes… come prepared for them—no. It would be up to us to go and buy networking equipment (several hundred dollars worth) and hook it up ourselves. Now neither of us has ever done that, and I’d heard horror stories, there was no way I was spending all that money just to have something that didn’t work. Finally Wild Blue said yes, they would bring the networking equipment and install it along with the dish system. We would have to pay for the additional equipment (understandable—not the problem). I started doing some research though, mostly because of my anger at Hughesnet for their even higher cost service that wasn’t even ‘full serve’ in my opinion, and found out that BOTH companies have horribly dissatisfied customers… really dissatisfied…mortified…changed mind. Sticking with crappy dial up… but I still reserve the right to fume about it.

No comments: