Tuesday, December 03, 2013

That Dog

I love my dog. Before getting her, I did a lot of research on Papillons, the breed she is. The information all pointed to these dogs being very intelligent. In fact, they are ranked #2 right behind poodles as the most intelligent dog breed. I've never owned poodles, but I've been around quite a few and knew they as a whole seemed very easy to train, so I expected that my new Papillon puppy would be as well.

She was. I can only remember once that she went potty in the house even as a small puppy, and she learns quickly when I attempt to teach her anything. What surprised me most was that quick learning isn't the only hallmark of an extremely intelligent dog. This dog doesn't wait to be taught, she teaches herself new behaviors all the time. It never ceases to amaze me. Not only does she learn to do things on her own, she also learns from other animals in the house. She has picked up some hilarious movements and behaviors from the cat.

Batty, the papillon is a never-ending source of joy.