Friday, December 29, 2006

What is A GAN?

In regards to one of my posts yesterday I've been giving a lot of thought as to what Great American Novels are out there. In my mind books like Huckleberry Finn, Moby Dick, Wuthering Heights, The Grapes of Wrath are amongst those titles to hold such a distinction, but on some of the 'lists' I've found I've only seen a couple of those listed. Moby Dick and Wuthering Heights are always on them, and Grapes of Wrath turned up on a couple. I was surprised not to see Huckleberry Finn listed on any I found. To Kill a Mockingbird was on two such lists.

What makes it so subjective? Is there really any such thing as a Great American Novel? Or is it purely up to each individual what is, and what isn't a GAN?

What books do you consider Great American Novels, and which ones have you read?

I've read Huckleberry Finn, Moby Dick, The Grapes Of Wrath, and To Kill A Mockingbird.

In my post about resolutions I've determined to read well too many I think my goal was too high, but for sure I'd like to read a book a month... I'd like some more suggestions as to GAN's and think I'll shoot for reading more of those types to start with. So give me some titles to choose from.

No comments: