Thursday, June 26, 2008

Character Front and Center

Even though I don't wear jewelry as a routine--it's just not possible, or practical on a farm. Writer or not, I have to do some grimy things during the day. I do have a simple gold chain though. I wear it mostly to remind me that not everyone is like me. Okay, heck, very few people are like me in the 'no jewelry' respect. It does serve to remind me to pay attention to what kinds of things my characters might wear.

I was telling someone the other day that in some way, big or small, all of my characters come from inside me. Surely I'm not as evil as any villian I've ever written. I'm no demon like Alexander. I'm not a hooker, or a cop... I've written about all of those in one form or another. Still, deep, deep inside the emotional connection is there to them.

In the same way, somehow I have to connect to their style, their personality, and general outlook on life even if it is totally foreign to my own. I have to be able to understand them, and remember what each of the characters is like all the way through the story, even as they evolve and change.

You can't afford to distance yourself even from the most evil of characters, and that can be challenging. None of it is more challenging to me than fashion though. It's just not my normal thing... so, the chain reminds me.

Do you have any reminders? Things tha trigger you to keep a certain element, or character at the forefront of your mind as you write?

No comments: