Sunday, June 22, 2008

Past and Future, melding together

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away...



...it seems like that anyway. The year was 2000. I was a beginning author with many short stories, and WIPS in progress, still at the time posting on forums and boards for opinion on my stories and writing, and beginning to develop a small following of 'fans'--that's when it happened. Super fan showed up.



I'm smiling here because that's what I'll call her I think from now on. Marie was my first 'real' fan. When I say that I mean because she went the step beyond posting responses on forums, she took the time to write to me. She was my very, very first fan mail.



The other day, I mentioned my first fan mail being from the library reader. I'd forgotten--I was wrong. She was my second. Marie was the first person to ever write to me and tell me how much she enjoyed the story she was reading at the time, and quite possibly was, at least, one of the forces that propelled me into wanting to get published.



I'd written stories from the time I could remember, but it wasn't until that year, early in 2000 that I took the initiative to post anything online. Perhaps it was because that was also shortly after gaining internet access to the 'new' world-wide-web.



In the mid-80's my hubby and I bought a pair of computers, and got 'hooked up' to the fledgling AOL that was one of the few 'internet' servers at the time, but that wasn't ANYTHING like the experience I found in 1999 when once again giving the internet a cruise.



Anyway, back to the story...



Shortly after the arrival of 'super fan' on the scene she became a faithful reader of everything I put out. Commenting, suggesting, and, of course--emailing. She was one of the first readers of Paradise (The Road To Paradise) my first novel. I sent it to her as an advance reader to be sure I'd made my mark.



I've known her ever since and she is a good friend though the years, and still a faithful reader and today, after reading the anniversary edition of Paradise, 'Married To A Rockstar' --now recovered, retitled, and with a new ending scene, she reviewed it for me, and it warmed my heart.



Here's her review she posted:



Just as incredible as the first time i read it *****

22 Jun 2008 (updated 22 Jun 2008)
by Marie Holloway
Married to a Rock Star delivers an entertaining account and perspective on the life of a rock star and all that is involved in that type of industry. This book is an excellent fictional resource to music fan enthusiasts who would enjoy having an in’s and out’s view of life on the road with a rock star and with a perfect back dropt of love and romance that enriches the story. In reviewing this book, I must say that rereading this book after I initially came across it in 2001 and I found the story to be just as fresh and exciting as all those years ago. It’s a book you can’t and won’t put down because just as you think you’ve figured out what lies ahead for our star couple Isaiah and Karen there are new twists and turns that comes your way.



The author, Tami Parrington, does a wonderful job in setting this story a part from your typical romance where you could get distracted with some syrupy love story and loose focus of what the story is conveying. Instead she writes a complete story full of love, loss, tragedy, heartbreak, and redemption and it unfolds in a way that no matter what obstacle comes along you never veer from rooting for the main characters. Even with their flaws you come to really care about these people and hope that in spite of their highs and lows that ultimately the story turns out as we all hope all stories turn out with a satisfying conclusion. If you want a story that never travels a predictable road in terms of reaching a goal then Married to a Rock Star is the book for you.



****



The reason I bring this up (beyond the obvious pride factor) is that the relationships you can forge as an author will sometimes span lifetimes, and create long wonderful memories. Remembering those old times of early emails makes me smile warmly, and appreciate her all the more.



Knowing how much this story still has impact on her after all this time also makes me feel so good inside. I've always enjoyed this piece and knowing it is still enjoyable to others leaves a very warm, happy feeling inside.

2 comments:

music notes said...

Thank you im in tears here for making me your 'super fan' Tami you are truly a gifted, extraordinary writer and my hope is that others get the chance to experience it as well. Everything you've ever written i get hooked from page one and can't let go to the end and even then it's still in my thought process long after. The stories become so real that i can't let go and much like our friendship it's been very real from day one i could never let go :)

Tami P said...

Marie, although we've never met face-to-face, your constant support through all the years, the ups and downs of my career, and personal life, has meant more to me than anything.