Friday, June 27, 2008

Opinion Desired

I have a question. I've had a few people say the dark covers I tend to like using on my novels should be lightened up. I do so love a black background. I'm not sure what that says about me, but it's true.

Do you think it matters? Do you think it fits one type of story more than another? Here are three of my covers... one young adult, one romance, and the last an almost finished thriller with a bit of a humorous twist.


Do you think the genre matters? Do you think the romance cover is too dark for a romance? Does it matter?

Three out of five covers of mine are black backgrounds... it's obviously a penchant I have. I don't do that to coverart that I create covers for others--unless specifically asked for it. Maybe it's some sort of darkness inside me trying to assert itself--or maybe I just like black.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think mostly what I matters is the content. I don't usually look too much at the colors of the cover... but a darker cover may even make a book seem more intriguing... I don't know.

Tami P said...

Thanks Ben. Hey though, that kind of shoots down the massive importance most authors (and publishers) put on cover art. Ouch, I can hear a million cover artists screaming from the sudden mass layoff. LOL