Friday, October 18, 2013

Home Insurance Woes

I bought an older home a few years ago, and am still having trouble getting it insured. It's not a mortgage problem since there is no mortgage, but having insurance is that peace of mind you want, right? I never, ever thought much about homes being uninsurable, at least not as a normal home. It's not falling down around itself or anything. It's not in a bad neighborhood. It's not in a hazzard area from flooding or hurricanes or such, although tornadoes do happen, all homes around here have the same hazzard. I've owned many old homes before, and never had this problem. I've read that since the housing collapse in 2008 insurance companies are much, much more difficult than they used to be, so that may be the reason I have never known this issue. All of the previous homes were bought in the 80s and 90s. Still... what a racket.