Friday, February 27, 2009

What You Wear They Wear

I've been noticing that so many popular artists and figures in the public eye like politicians all wear very stylish luxury watches. No, no I know that the elite have always worn beautiful expensive watches but now they are more of a personal statement, they have to reflect a personality as well as simply pointing to wealth. I think the luxury watches of today are so much nicer because of that very fact. It has made me think more about how what my characters wear from clothes to jewelry and accessories speaks about them, their personalities and where they come from. In other words, say someone like me, middle class mid western upbringing even if I 'struck it rich' and made it to the big, big time the types of jewelry and clothing I'd likely wear would be much different than someone from Harlem who rose to fame and/or fortune even though those items would reflect the same wealth and status. They say the clothes (including jewelry) make the man and they make the character too. It is something that gets overlooked at times I think.

No comments: