Monday, January 23, 2012

Playing the Bass Card

I grew up playing guitar. I started taking lessons when I was about 11, on an acoustic guitar, and took lessons and played until I was 18. At that time I was playing electric, and was in a garage band after school. It was such a good time of life. I know that memories can sometimes be gilded, but I really do remember those days with such happiness.

The other day I was thinking about playing again. I think it was something in a movie that got me started. I had tried a few years ago, and boy are my fingers tender now. It would take quite a bit to get them toughened up again. I still remembered the placement of the notes. However, if I did go back to it, I was thinking about looking for a bass guitar and learning to play bass. It is such a cool instrument, and one I've always loved, but never learned.

Is it too late for this old dog to learn a new trick? Maybe now that I'm living back up in the city where it's easy to find lessons, I will take a look around, and give bass guitar a try this summer.