Sunday, July 08, 2012

Drop Dead Diva

Okay, I've often said I'm a day late and a dollar short when it comes to watching movies. That's because I don't care to go to the theater much, and prefer to watch them on DVD or when they are on cable. However, that isn't the case with "Drop Dead Diva." That's a regular show on regular cable. I've seen it often and just ignored it. The title sounded like one of those crazy reality shows and I wasn't interested. I just happened to see the beginning of it today and was mesmerized. I had to watch it, and now it's set on my DVR, hoping to catch all of the back episodes, but I will probably end up buying the sets of seasons since it's been on since 2009. That's right 2009! This isn't a reality show. It's a hilarious comedy about a diva aspiring actress who dies... but not quite. She ends up coming back to life, just not in her old body. She's trapped in the body of a slightly heavy, very savvy female lawyer. For anyone who loved Harry's Law, this is a definite win. It's sort of like Harry's Law in its ensemble, except "Harry" in this case is a younger woman. It's funny, witty and at the same time relevant and powerful. Just goes to show: you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or a TV show by its title.