Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Women are Easy

Oh never in our novels, that isn't the ticket to a good heroine, right? Of course not. Knowing how women think and react to situations is easier than knowing how men react since most of us are women. That makes sense, but it isn't always true. It is not just as easy to write women's emotions and responses. While we think like women, it's easy to make them whiney instead of strong and reasonable.

Showing a woman's attitudes and responses isn't as easy as having her kick back over her wine of the month clubs wine list after a hard day's work. We know that. Somehow getting the fine line of a woman standing up for what she wants and believes, and being a whiney little witch is a toughie though.

Sometmes it's just a matter of opinion too. I have one favorite series that I read often and have seen comments on various of the book's pages saying the heroine is whiney, but I never see her that way.

Then again, I've had a few readers say my heroines are whiney. Maybe I just like them that way.

No comments: