Friday, March 27, 2009

Twitter Buggers

I love Twitter, I do. I go play on it every day either for a few minutes or a few hours depending on my own schedule. It's a great marketing tool, and a great social network as well and I've even gained profitable work through people I've met on there. What bugs me is those that use it for that purpose without really understanding how social networking helps improve business relationships and sales.

Outright advertising rarely works on something like Twitter. It's not supposed to be about that. It's supposed to be about developing relationships that spawn further business dealings. The Direct Message (DM) function on there is the most abused. It could be a great thing but as just about any dedicated Twitterer if they even bother with DMs and they'll tell you they hate looking at them. Most of the time they're a Twitter version of spam.

It's a great system, and I know that being such a young idea it will take people time to really learn how to use it. It will also take time to weed out the obnoxious from the genuinely upfront posters who want to use the system but do it the right way.

3 comments:

cartier said...

stop ....you love

Tami P said...

Stop I love what? I do love Twitter.

Tami P said...

Ah, I guess I see what you are getting at, but, well, I'm passionate about music, my favorite shows, and I'm addicted to Twitter... so I love them :p ;)