Saturday, February 16, 2008

Getting Covered

Being self-employeed means a lot of things. Some of them good, such as, making my own hours, being able to work in my pajamas if I chose, being able to walk from my office to my livingroom without ever leaving the house, lots of little goodies like that. Some of the off-shoots of being self-employeed aren't as good though, such as, no health insurance. For the most part we're okay since my husband is still employeed outside the home and has company offered health benefits. In the last year or so we've been getting closer and closer to the final goal/dream of him being able to quit and work here full-time as well. The benefits to that are obvious enough, but the biggest drawback is no longer being shielded by the company group health plan. So we've been investigating individual health insurance costs and pros and cons of each company that offers such plans. Surprisingly they don't all offer coverage for individuals. Some that do are so expensive that it's prohibitive. There's a lot to consider, both price and quality and a lot more homework than I ever thought it would be. Making the preparations for this transition has kind of scary and exciting all at the same time. I'm looking forward to it, but I'll be really happy when we've got it all covered.

No comments: