Saturday, February 09, 2008

Make it Fun

If you're supposed to write what you know, most of us would not have really interesting locations for our stories, at least after one or two. Then again, Stephen King did place almost all of his stories in a little town in Maine. For most of us though it's not really reasonable to place stories in the same locale everytime. Besides, researching different places is more fun. Now lots of people pick the bigger cities. Maybe they feel it lends a more easily identifiable air to their surroundings. I like country places. Little Branson lots located in huge mountain ranges. After all, country is what I know best. Luckily I did grow up around Chicago so I also know big cities and can incorporate them, but I like writing about rural people. I did locate two of my works in my 'adopted' home town here in the country, but for others it's much more fun to do the research, even so far as having to take road trips to get the feel for the areas. Now that's what makes writing REALLY fun.

No comments: