Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Want to Cook Like Hector Kabande?

Being a professional chef like Hector Kabande is more than just a life long pursuit of culinary perfection it is a lifestyle that is generational. I don't know that I can claim that although I did learn how to make pot roast, and stew from my German grandmother. My mother's idea of cooking was calling the local pizza joint which could explain a lot, but I still love to cook. Somehow along the way I learned how by reading, practicing, and just striving onward in spite of blunders and obvious mistakes. Professional chefs like Hector Kabande have to do more than just know how to cook they have to know how to handle the public, cater to desires of others, and control a kitchen full of other helpers. I can barely handle my own family although as my kids have often said, they're still alive.

Hector Kabande is a family man too and that adds to his ability to understand what families want when they come to one of his establishments. I only know what my family wants and I try to give it to them--although I suppose most times they should be happy with 'alive'.

No comments: