Friday, February 12, 2010

Taking Health for Granted

I wish there had been an eczema cure when I was a child. My neighbor had a terrible time with it. It isn't so much the pain, or danger of the disease as it is the stigma and wanting to hide it that makes eczema hard to deal with. There are a lot of diseases like that. Some we take lightly because they don't kill. They may not take a life in the literal sense, but they can take lives in a more figurative sense. I wonder how much different my life would be if I had a skin disease like that. I love summer, heat, and all that it means including short sleeves, shorts, and swim wear. Things I take for granted that people who have severe skin conditions have difficulties with. With all that it makes me happy to find that there are on-going studies, and new treatments for problems like eczema. No one will have to live with the discomfort or shame that my neighbor lived their whole life with.

No comments: