Saturday, May 24, 2008

Our Own Worst Enemies.

I wonder if there will ever be a point where as a writer I can look back at past work and not find some fault to pick on. I know when I've written things a long long time ago, they look awful now, but since I had gotten to the accepted publishing area I've found my work to have grown enough that it's not that, but there's always a line I'd have written differently. When I wrote the piece, whatever it is, I was happy with it. Editors were happy with it. Everyone was happy. Then a month, two months, a year later I pick it up to read again and while the story still moves me, there's always something to pick at.

I've read big name authors saying basically the same thing, but I wonder if it's just an over-critical mind, or a reality. I know a lot of authors say they do the same to other author's published works, and yet I don't too often find myself doing the same thing to other author's works. Perhaps we're our own worst enemies sometimes.

No comments: