Thursday, June 12, 2008

Inspiration

Where does inspiration come from? I'd like to know your thoughts on where your ideas come from for your novels, shorts, or articles. For me it just comes from questioning someting around me, a quirky idea or thought, or sometimes, as in my first novel, when someone casually says something that I take a step further.

For The Road To Paradise someone I'd known for sometime, and talked to daily back then made a passing comment that someday I'd wake up and he'd have purhcased the house for sale next to mine and we'd be neighbors. That kind of came out of the blue since he's a 'city-boy' who is very career oriented, and I'm a 'country-girl' (oh brother, we're not even classified as rural, we're considered sub-rural) and the idea that he'd suddenly ditch the hustle and bustle of his career to move out to the middle of a cornfield just amuzed me enough to ask... what if?

What if is always a dangerous thought for me to have. That's the beginning. That's when the wheel start to spin, and quite often, I go 'off road'.

How about you? Where do your ideas come from?

No comments: