Sunday, July 13, 2008

Emoticon Expressions

What is the world coming to really? We have people who speak in 'chat speak' and walk around using phrases from cell phone text messaging as if it were a part of the English language, and I've even seen people responding to posts on forums ENTIRELY using emoticons to convey their point.

I like those little emoticon dudes. I really do. I use them--sparingly. The thought of creating an entire response, even if it is just a one-liner, completely comprised of little round faces with different aspects of motion or expression is just a little beyond--no, make that a lot beyond the scope of my comprehension.

Have we really forgotten how to comunicate in full sentences using real words?

I can see Webster's Dictionary in another ten years comprised entirely of BFF and LOL expressions... oh, and don't forget the little rolling happy face laughing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I HATE when someone uses emoticons exclusively!! arrgghh..I have taken people off my msn just because of over-emoticon use.

Tami P said...

Hey girl, where have you been? It certainly is annoying. It's getting to be such a part of our lexicon though, that it's almost impossible to not hear someone speak in 'text' speak, or write in 'chat speak' anymore, and emoticons seem to be part and parcle along with that.