Saturday, July 05, 2008

Where Do You Buy Your Books?

Do you still prefer the brick and mortar type stores, or do you shop more online now that it's so available? I feel sorry for some of the smaller bookstores. They seem to be closing their doors at an ever increasing rate. Not only are they unable to compete with the 'big boys' on the street, they have to compete now with stores of all sizes online. I can't say I'm much help to them, I do most of my shopping online. I do feel for them though. It's hard to compete even in the 'real world' since big stores that are dedicated to books have so much more variety than most small independant stores can manage. I remember when I was doing a lot of signings (I don't so much anymore for a variety of reasons) the small indies were wonderful to work with, and really WANTED to be a part of your program, where you had to practically beg and kiss the big stores to look at you.

I remember too, though, the selection restrictions they had due to space. It's no wonder they can't compete really. Customers, like me, may care very much about the indies, but when it comes right down to it, we choose what is best for us first. For me buying books online is just easier. I buy almost everything online since I am so far away from stores of any kind. It would cost me more in gas not too mention time to drive to the stores, even the big ones.

How do you shop for books?

No comments: