Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The End of the Stories

I read a poem today, it was haiku which is not usually my favorite, but while I still don't much care for the style, it had an impact. Not the words so much as the thought behind them, the thought that I used to do that all the time, and I don't anymore. I used to write fiction all the time, and I don't anymore. I used to have stories running through my head, and I don't anymore. I still write, but it's business. I used to think you never lost the 'art,' you just sometimes choose to do other things for awhile, and when you went back it was there. That's the way it always was before, not anymore. Now I am thinking there is a limit. I don't know if it is the same for everyone, or if it varies with the person, but there is an end to inspiration... an end to the stories.