Friday, November 02, 2007

What Takes Writing's Place?

Watching my shows this week makes me wonder what is going to happen with the new WGA strike. Lots of the popular shows are going to get hit. Probably not so much with their current running shows as they're probably taped already, but next season which should already be in the works. I guess we'll get another long hit of more reality, and talk shows popping up to take the place of good writing. The last time there was a writer's strike, that's what happened. That's when reality shows hit the scene, and ever since Hollywood writers have cried about how those shows take away their jobs since writing staff isn't necessary with them... well, sink or swim. It's a double-edged sword because I know writers, especially in the television and movie world should get paid more, and DEFINATELY deserve more respect than they get. In that realm they are treated like dirt by and large, and directors, and even actors are the gods that make the industry. If it weren't for the writers where would most of those directors, and all of those actors be anyway? Still... going off and pouting in a corner, as in striking, only seems to make the writer's perdicament worse. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I have a bad feeling that I know what the end result will be... more reality. I can remember when television meant an escape from reality, and entering a world of fantasy, not seeing how truly sucky everyone's life is, just like your own.

No comments: