Thursday, March 06, 2008

State Of Depravation

When I was young, in my teens and twenties I'd stay up all night long, for days on end writing. I used to think some of my best writing was done that way. When I look back at what was written during those marathons I realize that most of what I considered 'the best' was probably sleep deprived hallucinations. It really isn't all that great. Of course, over time as we mature writing becomes better just from experience, but sleep is something we also learn is much more important to creativity than we give it credit for as 'young'uns'. Lately I haven't been getting a lot of sleep for other reasons. One of which is I need a new mattress. Even though I no longer purposely stay up all night writing, I find myself drawn to my computer when I can't sleep at night. Staring at a blank page is a lot worse when you're in a state of deprevation.

No comments: