Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I love my job!

I'm always saying I need a vacation and how I should get a Las Vegas travel agent because that's where I want to go, although perhaps not right now in this heat. Really though, I love my job. There aren't many people who have the flexibility I do.

Here's a case in point. My mother-in-law who is going through cancer treatments is living with us and I am her primary care-giver most of the time. Yesterday she had a meltdown and had to go to the emergency room. I spent from 2 in the afternoon until 3 in the morning at Riverside hospital with her from the 9 hours in the er to the following 4 hours up in the 2nd floor ICU where they graciously let me stay with her until she finally fell asleep because she was so scared. Did that stop me? Nope, me and my trusty laptop still got several assignments written and turned in as well as a chapter of my current non-fic wip completed.

Not that I wasn't paying attention to my mother-in-law I was sitting right next to her, talking her, holding her hand whenever she needed, but if you have ever had to sit at a hospital bedside that long you know there is plenty of 'downtime' and I really don't need a whole lot of time to do that type of thing. So... yes, I love my job even when the circumstances of life still make me want to say 'I need a vacation!'

No comments: