Sunday, December 28, 2008

Bigger and Better

I went looking at engagement rings yesterday with my husband. After all this time it is about time to get a new one. A new set in fact. When we were first starting out we couldn't afford a really great ring. I think a lot of new couples are like that. Since it is the only jewelry I wear as a rule I've wanted to get an attractive set that I really like for a long time. They say you should spend about 3 months salary on an engagement ring but I wonder if that scale still works. Even back when I first got married that scale barely applied. We did that and it still wasn't as nice as it could be and my fiance made a decent salary.

Perhaps as a general guide the 3 month salary thing works okay but overall I think the rings we were looking at came closer to a year (and after all this time my hubby makes a lot more now than he did 25 years ago). These weren't gaudy crazy rings either. Just very nice but larger than chips size. Of course, there's other options if you want big without the cost but you probably won't be married long if your intended finds out you bought them.

No comments: