Monday, October 22, 2007

Back To My Roots

While I've always had an active imagination, and wrote little stories in my childhood days they were usually centered around famous characters that attracted me---yeah, fan fiction. Years ago, and I do mean years ago when I first got 'hooked up' on line I started writing fan fiction on various sites. Some geared toward certain celebrities, some toward certain popular shows, etc... it was fun, it was exciting, and the feedback was... well, ego boosting. Those of us who write know what a lonely business it can be at times. We also know how discouraging it can be without knowing your words have any effect at all on others. Huddled away in our 'bat caves' to write for hours and wonder if anyone else on earth will feel it the way we do. Oh sure, we try critique groups, but that's a different type of animals entirely. After years of doing fan fic, I finally branched out on my own and wrote my own original fiction based on my own characters and had some levels of success... but it gets daunting at times. You can find yourself loosing faith. Finding that faith again is vital to picking up the 'pen' again, but where do you find it when it's flown away?

Go back to your roots... at least that's what I did. I feel the juices flowing again and it's a great feeling.

No comments: