Thursday, December 21, 2006

What Not To Do When Making A Video

The new love of my life... well, one of them anyway is making videos. I've learned a few things along the way. What to do. What not to do. I'm no where near finished learning, but I'm having fun while I do it.

I have, however, learned a couple very important things NOT to do while making a video.

Editing is very important in making videos, just like writing, we put a lot of extra stuff in when creating that in the end really isn't necessary. So proper cutting to get rid of extraneous content is necessary.

What you don't do, is render the finished video without clearing off all the cut pieces that you've shoved off to the side of the editor. I sat here tonight rendering a video that I'll tell you about in my next post, and couldn't for the life of me figure out why a one minute video was taking 20 minutes to render and had ALL that black frame in it. There wasn't any black frame in any of the finished video. Where was that coming from?

Stop the render and look... aaaahhhh there it is, three minutes off at the end was an additional five minutes of footage that had been cut into bits and pieces and left there with a big black void between the finished video and the cuts.

Sigh...clear off the cuts and resave the video. Render again, wow it only took 2 minutes that time. Surprise, surprise.

Oh... the final lesson I learned about making videos... it's probably not smart to do them at 10 pm when you should be in bed instead.

Unless you have a really good reason.

I'll tell you about that good reason in the next post. :)

No comments: